Now showing 1 - 5 of 13
- ItemWater Filter Provision and Home-Based Filter Reinforcement Reduce Diarrhea in Kenyan HIV-Infected Adults and Their Household Members(The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2014) Chaba-Omondi, Linda AkothAmong human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) -infected adults and children in Africa, diarrheal disease remains a major cause of morbidity and mortality. We evaluated the effectiveness of provision and home-based reinforcement of a point-of-use water filtration device to reduce diarrhea among 361 HIV-infected adults in western Kenya by comparing prevalence of self-reported diarrhea before and after these interventions. After provision of the filter, 8.7% of participants reported diarrhea compared with 17.2% in the 3 months before filter provision (odds ratio [OR] = 0.39, 95% confidence interval [95% CI] = 0.23–0.66, P < 0.001). The association was similar among 231 participants who were already taking daily cotrimoxazole prophylaxis before being given a filter (OR = 0.47, 95% CI = 0.25–0.88, P = 0.019). Educational reinforcement was also associated with a modest reduction in self-reported diarrhea (OR = 0.50, 95% CI = 0.20–0.99, P = 0.047). Provision and reinforcement of water filters may confer significant benefit in reducing diarrhea among HIV-infected persons, even when cotrimoxazole prophylaxis is already being used.
- ItemAdverse information on social media will always send Kenyans to withdraw their money(2016-04) Karoney, Carol-Noelle; Kalu, ElizabethIn the paper “The Extent to Which Social Media Can Influence a Bank Run” Atieno,T. and Mutinda, M. (2014) provided empirical evidence that there was a huge risk of a bank run occurring in Kenya due to social media. This paper co-relates that study with the closure of Chase Bank Kenya in April 2016
- ItemMathematical modeling for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) transmission using generating function approachWaema, Rachel; Olowofeso, Olorunsola E.
- ItemMathematical model for pneumonia dynamics among childrenOng’ala, Jacob Otieno; Mugisha , Joseph; Odhiambo, John W.
- ItemOn the distribution of multiplicities in integer partitionsRalaivaosaona, Dimbinaina